- Courses to support improvement in health and wellbeing
- The opportunity to be creative and learn new skills
- Assistance with small grants for skills and learning
- Advice & Guidance and referral to employability services
You can share your experiences with other Carers in friendly, pleasant surroundings and can take the opportunity to ‘return to learn’.
It is sometimes difficult to find the words to describe the benefits of the Adult Guidance & Lifelong Learning Service, but then we don’t have to, because our Carers do that for us!
“I’m really writing to thank you for all the help you gave me. I’m sure that without your service I’d never have tried to link my constant love of Art with scary but intriguing bits of beginner’s IT!!”… Pam who attended CARES’ Beginner’s IT classes and who was also referred via the AGLLS to the S.T.A.A. Project which, when she became ill, enabled her to take up art classes in her own home.
For the loan of your room” “for my guitar lessons” “for putting me in touch with S.T.A.A”…. “for all of these things I thank you very much!” … Lynne – a Carer for her autistic son.
“If you said I could SKYPE and sign into FACEBOOK last November, I JUST WOULD NOT BELIEVE YOU, but thanks to you, on Tuesday 11 March 2014 my disabled wife had a 15 minute Skype chat with her brother on Vancouver Island in Canada” …… Bob, a 73 Year old Carer who attended the Internet & E-mail course provided by CARES’ AGLLS.
Following a successful pilot bid to Sandwell Community Learning Fund to deliver Choir, Art and Family Learning Projects, a further successful bid was made to the fund. As a result of this, and other funding, we were able to provide classes in:
- Aromatherapy – Watercolours & Family Art Sessions
- First Aid and Stroke Training – Computers for Beginners
- Internet & E-mail Courses – Live Well Health & Nutrition Course
- Sewing and Dressmaking
- Think, Believe, Achieve – a course to build confidence and self-esteem
We have also helped Carers who wished to take up college courses or distance learning with successful grants obtained from the Carers Trust Skills & Learning Fund. Carers took up courses in:
- Level 2 Web Design – Level 2 Principals of Business & Administration
- Diploma in Reflexology – Guitar Lessons – Fashion Design
- Higher Level Teaching Assistant Course (Distance Learning Course)
“The Teaching Assistant Course that I am doing will help in my career – I am thoroughly enjoying it. The course is like an oasis in my house because I am able to do something for myself to advance my career in the comfort of my house and concentrate on something that would benefit me compared to the 2 sick people that I am looking after.
Thank you for making this provision – it means so much”.